Once you’ve got your website up and running, it’s tempting to leave it alone. The reality is that however great the design, you need to keep your website updated so that it doesn’t look out of date, and lose performance in terms of SEO. Here we look at the question of how often you should be revamping your website so that it stays fresh and your customers stay interested.
Regular servicing and attention
Provided your website has been well designed, and your website should be fit for its overall purpose for a good while to come. Keep on top of maintenance issues, you shouldn’t need a major overhaul of your website unless something dramatic happens.
- Select a professional web designer at the outset
- Regular servicing and attention will keep your website in tip top condition.
“On average, 71.33% of searches resulted in a page one Google organic click.” Marketingland.com*
Keep Google – and your customers – happy
Search engines love fresh online material. Each time you change your website, it sends a signal out to the search engines, telling them that there’s something new for them to come and index. Just as new content is great for SEO, it’s also great for your customers.
- Update your website regularly to improve Search Engine Optimisation
- Give your customers something new to read, creating the impression of a lively business with something to say.
Keep on top of updates
Your content management system will issue updates from time to time, to keep the ‘back office’ of your website working efficiently and effectively.
- Activate updates to decrease the likelihood of your website being hacked.
- Invest in a Service Level Agreement with your web developer so that they can carry out updates to avoid breaking your website’s theme and stop it from functioning.
Update ‘time specific’ content
Got an offer on ‘for April’? You don’t want it up there in July. That ‘new service’ won’t be new 2 years later, either.
- Keep on top of date specific text.
- Diarise a regular review depending on the content on your website.
“Companies who blog receive 97% more links to their website.” Hubspot March 2015**
Blogging is a fantastic way of adding regular content to your website. It helps you build your business’s identity, gives you an opportunity to demonstrate your expertise, and provides fresh content for your social media too.
- How often you blog depends on the industry you’re in. Fast moving sectors such as fashion might demand daily (or more) updates, other industries less so. Here at Web Adept, we aim to blog a couple of times a month.
- Working out a blogging schedule and setting aside time to blog are crucial if blogging is to be a successful part of your digital marketing strategy.
As you’ll have gathered, there’s no hard and fast rule as to how frequently you should be revamping your website, but it’s something to be mindful of and approach pro-actively. Put reminders in your calendar – or if you haven’t got capacity to revamp your website as regularly as it needs, why not get in touch with us here at Web Adept? We offer one off updating, or, by far the better option, an ongoing, tailored Website Maintenance Service which will ensure monthly tweaking and refreshing of your website. Contact us to find out more.